Homemade brownies are so incredibly worth the few, very easy, extra steps to make from scratch. That box really isn’t saving you much time, and the end result is SO beyond compare!
You’re still only dirtying one bowl and one pan. It doesn’t get much better than that!
And I have one little tip for those of you who like things extra extra chocolatey. I learned this one from my aunt:
When the brownies come out of the oven, immediately scatter about 2 cups of chocolate chips over the top. Let them sit there until they are all shiny and soft, and then carefully spread them out smooth over the top. Let the brownies cool completely and enjoy these extra-chocolatey, extra pretty goodies!!
What does your ‘perfect’ brownie look like?
Mine is dense, rich, chewy, moist, über-chocolatey and just plain irresistible.
- 3/4 cup dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup butter, melted & divided (1/3 cup + 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9x13" baking dish and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cocoa and baking soda. Stir in 1/3 cup of the melted butter until smooth. Stir in the boiling water until the mixture is smooth and thick.
- Stir in the sugar and eggs with the remaining 1/3 cup melted butter. Stir in the vanilla and salt until just smooth.
- Dump in the flour and chocolate chips at the same time, and stir until just combined.
- Spread the batter into your prepared baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the edges start to pull away from the pan. (Always better to under-bake than to over-bake brownies!)
- Cool completely in the pan. (Brownies freeze great for later if there are leftovers!)
**If you love these brownies as much as I do and want a source for GREAT dutch-processed cocoa powder in bulk so you always have it on hand, I have tried just about every kind there is, and this Pernigotti Cocoa is by far the best.
It is so pure and clean tasting, you could lick the powder off your fingers without any bitter aftertaste. And the hint of vanilla? Bliss. Seriously you guys. This stuff is the best!