I made these for my mom for a get-well surprise after her surgery last week… she told me they were blog-worthy! :o) For all you coconut lovers out there, these hit the spot!
5 1/3 cups (about 1 – 14 oz bag) flaked sweetened coconut
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons pure almond extract
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large egg-whites
1/8 teaspoon (about 2 pinches) cream of tarter
2 tablespoons sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the coconut, milk, salt, and extracts with a fork until mixed. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tarter together with a mixer on low speed until the cream of tarter dissolves. Beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Beat in the sugar.
4. Using a spatula, fold half of the egg whites into the coconut mixture gently just until blended, and then fold in the remaining whites.
5. Scoop out balls of the dough onto your prepared baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart, so the cookies have room to spread.
6. Bake for about 17 minutes, until the bottom of the cookies and the tips of the coconut flakes are light brown. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
These are best stored in the fridge, and can be dipped in chocolate for an extra elegant treat!