I know, I know… another mac & cheese recipe?!
Yep. We just don’t ever seem to get tired of it.
Or I guess, I just keep changing things up so we can’t get tired of it!
This is a knock-off of Martha Stewart’s famous mac & cheese… I love the combination of cheeses and buttery bread crumbs in this. So good!
- 1/2 cup butter, divided (2 tablespoons + 6 tablespoons)
- 4-6 slices good white bread, torn into smallish pieces
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 cups shredded cheese blend (I like Mexican!), divided (3 cups + 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided (1 cup + 1/2 cup)
- 1 pound short pasta (penne, macaroni, etc.)
Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Butter a 10" cast-iron skillet or a 9x13" baking dish and set aside.
Tear the bread into a medium bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons melted butter and set aside.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the chicken stock, cream and milk until warm.
Melt the remaining butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When the butter bubbles, add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, for about 1 minute.
While continuing to whisk, slowly pour in the hot liquid. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove the pan from the heat.
Stir in the salt, pepper, chipotle, nutmeg, 3 cups shredded cheese blend, and 1 cup parmesan until smooth and set aside.
Cook the pasta according to package directions, about 2 minutes shorter than the recommended time. Drain and then stir into the cheese sauce.
Pour the mixture into the prepared dish, sprinkle with the remaining cheeses and breadcrumbs over the top.
Bake until golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes.