Along those lines, Natalie (my blogging partner over at The Modern Proper) and I set out to create a bright and flavorful grilled cheese sandwich to help usher in this beautiful and fast approaching (fingers crossed) season. We believe we did just that with this ham and gruyere grilled cheese with mashed sweet peas and mint. It’s so simple and makes for a very easy lunch or dinner, and the addition of the spring peas and mint make it feel so festive and celebratory.
- 2 cups frozen sweet peas
- 20 fresh mint leaves, roughly torn
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 12-16 slices of black forest ham
- 8 oz gruyere cheese, thinly sliced or grated
- 8 slices rustic italian bread sliced
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- In a small food processor pulse the peas, mint, olive oil, salt and pepper just until all the ingredients come together and form a nice paste.
- Divide the pea compote between the insides of 4 slices of bread. Top the compote with 3-4 slices of ham and follow with 2 oz of cheese. Place the 4 leftover bread slices on top of the cheese.
- In a small bowl mix together the mayonnaise and the softened butter until well incorporated.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the butter mixture on the top of each sandwich. Flip each sandwich butter side down into a pan set over medium/low heat.
- When the underside is nice and golden brown, remove the lid and spread the remaining 4 tablespoon of the butter mixture on the tops of the sandwiches. Flip each sandwich over. When the bottoms of the sandwiches are golden brown and the cheese is completely melted, remove from pan and serve.
Speaking of festive and celebratory, we are so excited for Annalise’s soon to be released cookbook, The Make Ahead Kitchen. We just can’t wait to get our hands on it! So, cheers and thanks to her for letting us be able to share this fancy little spring sandwich with you all! Enjoy. Happy eating and happy almost spring! If I say it enough it will come faster, right?
Natalie Mortimer & Holly Erickson blog over at The Modern Proper where they reinvent proper for the modern homemaker. With 5 kids between them, they are as busy as can be, but they seem to always find time to share beautiful photos, mouthwatering recipes and captivating writings! (Go check out their gorgeous Instagram feed if you want some inspiration in the kitchen today!)