Rich, hearty, incredibly flavorful… and start to finish in under an hour?
Yep! This delicious soup tastes like it has been simmering ALL day, and yet it’s quick and easy to throw together in a pinch!
Full of beans, veggies, ham and more flavor than you will believe can come out of a quick-cooked soup, this is a meal you need to try and SOON!
Hey friend!! I’m so glad you’re back! I’ve got a great recipe for you today, AND an even better kitchen MUST-HAVE!
Have you gotten your hands on an Instant Pot yet? If you haven’t, you MUST. It will be your new best friend! Especially for summer, when you don’t want to heat up your house with the stove or oven on. (OR, for summer camping… The Instant Pot is the perfect companion for your camper!)
Quick Instant Pot schpiel (is that a word?!)… It is a multi-function cooker that slow cooks, sautés, steams, warms and is a rice cooker, yogurt maker, and most importantly – a pressure cooker! Yep, that thing Grandma used to use on her stove, only MUCH more user-friendly!
I have a good friend who almost exclusively cooks in her Instant Pot for her family of 6, as they currently live in a garage with no kitchen and no running water as they build their new home! How’s that for an Instant Pot commercial?!?
Ok, I’ll end this totally UNsponsored commercial with this: I am absolutely head-over-heels in love with this thing. I am planning on getting rid of my other slow cookers and am seriously thinking about getting a second IP, I love it so much!
Oh and if you DO have one already… did you know they came out with a huge 8-quart model?! Seriously drooling over here!!
From big batches of homemade yogurt with NO-fuss, perfect boiled eggs, hands-off oatmeal, pressure cooked stews and stocks that taste like they have simmered all day, to classic slow-cooked meals – this thing does it all!
Between the instant pot and your grill, you may never need to turn on your stove this summer. How’s that for awesome!
Grab one (or go grab yours if you’ve already got one!) and get cooking. This simple, delicious and hearty soup is the perfect place to start!
- 2 cups dried black beans
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease or olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (or chipotle powder)
- 1./2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups ham, chopped
- 1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
- 8 cups chicken stock
- fresh chopped parsley - optional
- cooked rice, for serving - optional
- RInse the beans well and pick through for stones/dirt/etc. Set aside.
- Turn the Instant Pot onto Sauté, HIGH and let heat while you chop vegetables and ham. Dump in the oil, onion, celery, carrots & the spices and sauté until soft and starting to brown, 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and let cook for 30 seconds and then stir in the rest of the ingredients, including the rinsed beans.
- Turn the Instant Pot onto Manual Pressure HIGH for 25 minutes. Let cook and then Natural Release for at least 15 minutes before finishing with a Quick Release if necessary.
- Taste for seasoning, adding more salt & pepper if needed, and serve!