Chewy, moist, lightly-spiced, gluten free molasses cookies… These cookies have all the comfort of your favorite family recipe with a fun secret ingredient and without the gluten (but you’d never know!).
Here we go again! Another gluten-free recipe conversion. Now, I am definitely not going to be an exclusively gluten-free blog, but for now I have a child who can’t have gluten and that means you will be seeing several new recipes here and there.
Sometimes I get so down about this whole gluten free thing. I hate seeing Bjørn’s hurt and longing for things he used to have (we have yet to find a decent gluten free bagel or donut – tips appreciated!), and the extra brain-power involved is just plain exhausting.
I long for the days of easy food choices and grabbing anything handy to feed my kids, but that is just not our life anymore, and it’s time for me to to put on my big girl pants and get over myself!
Yes, this is hard. But my love for him is huge, and every gluten free thing I make is a physical act of love for him. And my goodness, you should see his joy when I can answer “Yes!” to his never ending “Is this gluten free?” question!
These cookies were a no-brainer to put on top of the list of recipes to convert, because it’s a family favorite around here. My grandma’s original Molasses Crinkles Cookie recipe (which is in my cookbook – releasing in June!) is one of our must-haves in the fall, especially on the Christmas table. (And every time I get a craving during the holiday season!)
The blackstrap molasses in these cookies makes them a bit healthier than the originals, and a few delicious essential oils are the perfect compliment to the warm richness of the dough.
Trust me, you won’t notice anything is missing, and you will love these as much as our family does!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
- 3 drops clove Young Living essential oil**
- 2 drops ginger Young Living essential oil**
- 1 drop cinnamon bark Young Living essential oil**
- 4 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour blend*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- sugar for dusting
- *I use Namaste brand Gluten Free Organic Perfect Flour Blend. As with all gluten-free recipes, your recipe may turn out differently with a different brand of gf flour!
- **PLEASE don't use just any brand of essential oils. Not all brands are safe for internal consumption, Young Living is the only brand I trust for my family! (Email me if you want to chat!) And of course, if you don't have essential oils right now, feel free to use 1 teaspoon ground cloves, 1 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in place of the oils!
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, coconut oil and brown sugar until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Beat in the egg, molasses and essential oils until smooth. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour blend, salt and baking soda and then add the mixture carefully into the mixing bowl and mix until just well combined.
- Cover and place the dough into the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes, or overnight. When you are ready to bake, take the dough out of the fridge and preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper and scoop the dough out (with a small scoop) about 2-3 inches apart.
- Press the dough down gently with a fork dipped in cold water, and then sprinkle each pressed cookie with sugar. Bake for 6-8 minutes, until just set and no longer wet looking in the middle.
- Let cool on the baking sheets and then transfer to an airtight container to store in the freezer!