Remember those chocolate oranges that are always around at Christmas? You know, the foil wrapped ones that you whack on the counter and they fall into cute little orange segments?
Well, they were the inspiration for these brownies.
Those and my favorite ice cream combo ever from my favorite little ice cream shop (Elevated Ice Cream in Port Townsend, in case you were wondering!)… a scoop of swiss orange chocolate chip and a scoop of cardamom, eaten at the same time!
- 3/4 cup dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 drops Young Living Cardamom Vitality Essential Oil*
- 2/3 cup butter, melted & divided (1/3 cup + 1/3 cup)
- 4 drops Young Living Orange Vitality Essential Oil*
- 1/2 cup strong, hot coffee**
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9x13" baking dish and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cocoa, baking soda & cardamom. Stir in 1/3 cup of the melted butter and the orange zest until smooth. Stir in the hot coffee until the mixture is smooth and thick.
- Stir in the sugar and eggs with the remaining 1/3 cup melted butter. Stir in the vanilla and salt until just smooth.
- Dump in the flour and chocolate chips at the same time, and stir until just combined.
- Spread the batter into your prepared baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the edges start to pull away from the pan. (Always better to under-bake than to over-bake brownies!)
- Cool completely in the pan. (Brownies freeze great for later if there are leftovers!)
- *Pure Young Living essential oils will give this the most amazing flavor. If you can get your hands on them, give them a try! Ask me if you've got questions!
- **If you need to skip the coffee, feel free to use decaf or substitute with boiling water.