Rich, fun, extra-chewy and naturally gluten-free (if you make sure your oats are not cross-contaminated!), these Monster Cookies are absolutely the best I’ve ever made. And I have made a lot of Monster Cookies in my time!
I have been baking and tweaking this recipe for years. It was my grandma’s recipe handed down to my mom and then me, and as you all know – I just can’t help but tinker. (smile)
Now, I’m absolutely not saying there was anything wrong with the original recipe, but there is always room for improvement and I think I have found a few little tricks to make these even better. If you’ve ever made Monster Cookies before and thought “these didn’t turn out like I expected”, then this recipe is for you!!
I have included cup measurements, but I have left a few of the original weight measurements also for those of you who use a kitchen scale… (If you don’t I suggest trying it. I just love the ease of resetting the scale and adding to one bowl, without dirtying a bunch of dishes!)
You can make these big or small, just adjust the time accordingly and watch carefully to make sure they don’t get overdone. You just want the edges to be golden so they are not dry. These cookies are better under-baked then overdone!
Oh, and I just have to share the show-my-insides cookie tip with you guys! (You may have seen this already, I posted it on Instagram a few weeks ago!)
Scoop out the cookie dough (balls twice as big as you want in the end) closely onto a cookie sheet and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or overnight. When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven and then take each cookie dough ball and break it in half like you are cracking open an egg and place the halves craggily-insides-up onto parchment-lined cookie sheets. When the cookies bake, they will be nice and chewy and all the yummy insides (chocolate chips, m&ms, etc!) will be showing, instead of hiding inside!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups (1lb) creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 1/3 cups (1lb) firmly packed brown sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 9 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups lightly packed sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 1/2 cups m&ms, divided (1 1/2 cups + 1 cup)
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, peanut butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, egg yolks, vanilla & baking soda until well blended.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients, except 1 cup of the m&ms, until just blended together. (You can transfer this to a very large bowl and mix with your clean hands if your mixer isn't big enough to handle the load!)
- Cover the bowl and place in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes while you preheat the oven to 350ºF and line several baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop the dough onto the parchment lined cookie sheets, and flatten with a fork dipped in water. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the cookies are just set and light golden brown around the edges.
- Store these (all cookies, really!) in the freezer for the best results. If they don't all disappear the first day, that is! :o)